Monday, July 6, 2009

More Pet Peeves

Time for another installment of My Pet Peeves. This is where I show you your mistakes and you fix them. Who knows more about it than me, after all?

There is a growing trend in this country among our young people that makes me uneasy. I do not refer to the use of the word “gay” when they mean “stupid,” or the baggy pants syndrome. That’s a whole other blog. My complaint is with their bizarre language skills. Namely, the mixed-up use of “on purpose” and “by accident.”

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard my daughter, son, or one of their friends say that something happened to them “on accident.” I have trouble even saying it out loud. It does not roll off the tongue trippingly. Why do they say it? Beats me.
*****
Then there’s the widespread misuse of the past tense of “hang.” Sadly, you even hear this from news media people. A picture is hung on a wall; a person is hanged. If you are referring to a person, you must use the word “hanged.” It may seem wrong at first, but it is correct, and soon it will sound wrong to hear “hung.” It doesn’t matter whether its accidental or capital punishment; a person is hanged.
*****
This brings me to my next point. Since “hanged” in spelled with an N, please situate it correctly on your changeable-text signs. I challenge anyone to drive through their town and not find a sign with a backwards N. Especially, here in the South. Even worse are the permanent signs with backwards Ns. Now, I’m not talking about Russian signs. I know the Cyrillic alphabet has a backwards N. Neither am I talking about people from other countries trying to make a sign in English, or the rare cases where a backwards N has special or historical meaning. I mean the people who should know better. Native English speakers (and one would assume - spellers) who should, by the time they are making signs, know what way the N is going. (I mean really. There are 4 more Ns on this sign! Not to mention, when is ePM?)
*****
The quote is “Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast.” Not beast. The William Congreve quote is talking about people, not animals.
*****
Wives can not be made to testify against their husbands. Most people misquote this law as “Wives can not testify against their husbands.” Big difference. If a woman wants to testify against her husband, she may. Of course, this dates from an antiquated, anti-feminist time when women were completely dependent on their husbands.
*****
Finally, one of the pet peeves that I find the most annoying is singing Happy Birthday as if it were a funeral dirge. Come on people! Its supposed to be a happy occasion. You friend or loved one is celebrating a birthday. The candle are lit. You’re anticipating a lovely piece of cake. Sing faster! Make it peppy!

No comments: